Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Bus Driver Who Wanted to be God

I'm a bit confused...

I so desperately want to understand this book on a deeper level, but I find myself unable to. I have not yet read the article assigned with it, so I am hoping that it helps me. I find the stories witty and humorous, but I am left confused. I feel that these stories have a "bigger picture" but I am unsure of what it is... The way the stories are written leads me to believe that they are about something more than what appears on the surface. I'm feeling a little embarrassed about admitting this, but I really would like some further insight on the topic. I'm hoping to walk away from today's discussion enlightened and in the know...

I found "Uterus" to be very strange, yet funny. Again, does this have a deeper meaning?? Is this really just a story about a mother's uterus on display in a museum? Why am I so confused?!

Perhaps, after I read the article I will have more to say, but for now I will continue to scratch my head and think.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry I felt the same way the first time I read it. We did choose the book to be funny and lighthearted because we have chosen the films for the military. I think the article will help you also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this book was very funny and lighthearted, although it was difficult to find the deeper meaning I still enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am on pretty much the same page with this book. I loved the book and found the stories entertaining, but for many of them I had a hard time picking out precisely how they were relevant to the unit. A couple of them, however, like "Goodman" and "Shoes," for example, I thought had great meaning behind them. I'm right there with you with the "Uterus" chapter though-- in my brief notes I wrote for each chapter, I didn't even have a clue what to write! :-P

    ReplyDelete